Monday, July 28, 2008

The language is coming

My Romanian is coming along---ever so slowly. However, I continue to learn a little. I speak so slowly, but people don’t seem to mind. The Romanian men all kiss my hand when I see them and the women kiss both sides of my cheeks. One lady cried yesterday and said that it was great to hear me trying to speak their language. They are all so sweet and help me fill in the blanks when I stutter. When I speak from the podium, they are all so attentive and smiling. They all come up afterwards and tell me that they understood everything. (Then they continue to talk to me as if I understood everything, which I don’t.)

2 comments:

Here And Happy! said...

Laurie, I think mastering the language is definitely going to be one of those "better" than before things you were promised about the status of the foundation if you serve this mission. I've learned from watching the reactions of the deaf ward just how much even the smallest effort to communicate means to people. It makes me HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY to know you are progressing. You must have the strongest testimony of "meant to be"regarding your mission call. You have our prayers.

darlene hymas said...

Dear Laurie, Thanks for your blog. We are all wondering how josh is doing with his Romanian. Has it come to him easily? Do the missionaries speak to hime in English or Romanian Love Mom