I have had many thoughts this past week as I have sought for understanding with the passing of our beloved elders, Elder Davis and Elder Burrows. Let me share the following thoughts that I also shared at the Memorial Service.
This year in Romania, we have celebrated the 20th anniversary of the fall of communism and the dedication of the land of Romania for missionary work. Elder Davis and Elder Burrows were tiny babies in 1989 when the revolution took place in Timişoara. The elders were crossing paths as they entered this mortal existence with those people who sacrificed their lives for freedom were leaving. Those martyrs who died for the cause of freedom need the gospel. Our two elders from Timisoara were just called home. These two young men don’t need time to be trained in missionary work. They know it. They know how to contact, to teach, and to testify. They are ready to go. I hope Elder Davis and Elder Burrows will be assigned to those who also played a part in bringing the gospel to Romania.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Sister Lungberg: I wanted to let you know that our prayers and hearts have been with you, President Lundberg and all of the missionaries in the Romania, Bucharest Mission. I can only imagine the sadness and sense of loss that all of you are feeling; we here at home have felt much the same. I am so very thankful for the opportunity that John had serving under President Lundberg. It seems that almost daily he recalls some sweet memory from his mission there and shares it with us. I asked him about Elders Davis and Burrows and if he could please tell me something about them that would help to soothe the sadness we were feeling. He was able to tell me several things and concluded our conversation by telling me, "Mom, there are two young men who were welcomed into the Saviors presence today with shouts of joy and gladness. Don't be sad. Their salvation is secure". As I type this, Elders Thompson and Stromberg are on their way to Las Vegas to attend the viewing for Elder Davis, and then returning to Provo for Elder Burrows' funeral Monday morning. I know how much it will mean to the families of these two fine young men, to see their companions gathered in their honor. Life is full of difficult, and often very sad things. Aren't we blessed to have the gospel, and with that blessing the knowledge of what lies ahead of us? Your thoughts on these two Missionaries being prepared to serve the Lord in paradise were so sweet and so appropriate. It would be well with each of us if we could be that well prepared to do the work that will come to us when we are called to go home. We love you. We are so grateful for the care and love and sweetness that you have shown our young sons and daughters as they have come to serve the Lord in Romania. May your hearts feel the peace and love that Heavenly Father has for you, and for all those who serve with you there. Thank you again for your tender thoughts and the love you showed our Johnny. Love, Rebecca Thompson
Thank you for the beautiful words. We are grateful for those missionaries that are attending the memorial services of these two elders. They will represent all of us that are still here. We love your son, as well as all our other wonderful missionaries. We are all in this together. The Gospel is true!
We went and it seemed to mean more to the families than we thought. They seemed to grab on to any information that we had about their son. What a pleasure it was to know such a great men as Elder Davis, and Elder Burrows. Both have been received in the Savior's arms and are working hard, waiting for us to join them when our time comes.
Once a Romanian Missionary, always a Romanian MIssionary!
Thanks, Elder Collier. I'm sure it meant a lot to the family. They will see their sons in each of you!
Sora Lundberg:
Elder Manzione and I were so sorry to hear about Elder Burrows and Elder Davis. He shared some stories with me about them and what wonderful young men they were. We've been praying for their families as well as you and the missionaries in Romania. A couple of years ago, our bishop's wife and several of his children were killed in a car accident. Elder Huntsman spoke at their funeral and shared his thoughts that no righteous person is taken before their time. Hopefully you and their families can find comfort in knowing that these righteous young men are with the Savior and doing the work He wants them to do. I'm so grateful for the loving care you gave to Ben when he had his accident a year ago. It was a blessing for him to be able to serve under President Lundberg. Love, Catherine Hibbard
Thank you. I've thought so much this past week about 3 different situations (E. Manzione's included) that death could have been the outcome. It's helped me to know without a doubt that Heavenly Father DOES watch over his missionaries, and that Elder Davis and Elder Burrows had completed their earthly mission.
President and Sister Lundberg,
I saw on a LDS news page that the funerals were held for your dear Elders today. I have been thinking about them these past several days. My heart was heavy when I first had read the news of the Elders accident in their apartment. I have been praying for their families and the missionaries that are left there in Romania. The gospel is a wonderful thing. My son served in Thailand and just a year ago, an Elder that had only been home a few weeks passed away. I remember how difficult it was for the missionaries in Thailand as well as those that had returned.
If you remember, my daughter Elizabeth, was to serve in your mission. I also know Elder Roundy and Elder DeGuzman. I feel a small attachment to your mission. It is in Romania that Elizabeth confirmed that her mission was to be a nurse. After her four months working in the orphanage and hospital through the BYU program, it was made sure to her that her life was to be dedicated to helping children. Elizabeth is getting married on May 1 to a really great guy.
May you feel our love and prayers as the mission moves forward.
Love, Jenette Wheelwright
Yes, I remember seeing Elizabeth's name. She will now have a great mission to serve as she gets married, becomes a nurse, and helps children. Thanks for your kind words. We are all committed to moving onward, ever onward!
Post a Comment