Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Cristina Comes to Town!
Cristina Catuna, our "Romanian daughter, " spent half a day and one night with us on her way to Barlad, Romania, to visit her family for Easter. It was good to see her again. There was a big craft fair in town at the peasant museum with vendors from all over Romania. We had an enjoyable evening as we wandered through the booths, bought a few souvenirs, listened to music, and ate good food. A week later, Cristina stayed another night with us before she flew back to Utah.
Joshua and Cristina---happy to be together again. Joshua lived with Cristina's family in Romania from the time he was 2 years old until he was 3 1/2. The Catunas are special people in our lives.
We watched wonderful "donut" type things being made. I'm sure they have a name--but I don't know it. These tubes of dough are deep-fried and then you can have them with sugar, cinnamon, or cocunut on them. They were yummy!
I LOVE the tradiational Romanian costumes. I really feel that I am turning somewhat Romanian because I get so excited about some of their traditions and the culture. I decided that I really wanted a Romanian native costume. They wear these for special occasions. The little ladies started dressing me and quite a crowd gathered to watch. I wished that I had brought a stack of Books of Mormon to hand out to all the people who gathered around me.
The finished product---over the top of my other clothes!
I loved this hat and tried it on. I then found out that this is a man's hat. Oh well, it was cute! (Sora Dillon and Cristina are taking pictures of me in the background!)
This was really fun. This man was playing his accordian while his son played his musical instrument made from a ghord. They had all sorts of instruments for sale that were made from various ghords---and they sounded really good. It helped create part of the fun atmosphere that was there at the fair. (I keep hoping to find a shirt that is Joshua's size like the boy is wearing! )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh, I wondered if they made the costumes in child sizes. I think they are cute, too. Good luck in your hunt for Josh's size.
By the way mom, I was thinking about this the other day. Have you seen Waldo since you've been there? I have not.
I love your outfit! I told Elder Ferrin to buy some traditional costumes to bring home, but he had no idea what he should look for. Will you please show him your outfit and describe what he could get for a man's outfit and maybe children's clothes? Thank you. He needs some motherly advice in the clothing area.
My niece, Heather Leavitt, signed up to come with Bridges of Love over to Romania this summer without knowing the connection to you and thus, Stuart. She is so excited to come. It has been fun hearing about and helping a little in the preparations.
I met Marilyn at your home to drop some stuff off and met Maren (She was visiting) and Kirsti and your beautiful grandbabies. They all looked healthy and happy.
Thank you again for all you do and for sharing this blog with us!
Post a Comment