Thursday, June 4, 2009

Easter in Romania!

Easter is a big holiday in Romania. The Romanians do their spring cleaning and prepare wonderful traditional food for the holiday. Everything shuts down the day before Easter, and things remain quiet for a few days following. On Saturday night at midnight, people gather outside the Orthodox churches, listen to a few words by the Priest, and then he lights the candles of those in the front of the crowd with his own candle. The people with burning candles turn and light others, and within moments, hundreds of people are holding candles that are burning.

We enjoyed Easter by attending church and listening to talks about Easter--in Romanian, of course. After church, we had dinner and then Elder Bailey did an Easter Presentation for those with us. I had thought that we should do something for Joshua--in English. I was grateful that Elder Bailey's mom had sent him some plastic Easter eggs that had scriptures inside that told the true Easter story. There was a beautiful spirit there that evening. I'm so grateful for the resurrection and the atonement of Jesus Christ and the meaning that it gives to our lives!


Joshua finds a hidden colored egg!

Joshua found a basket with some goodies in it!


1 comment:

Maren said...

Glad you had a good holiday. Sorry, I should've thought to have sent something to Joshua for Easter. Next year, I guess.